Yoga and me – Kirstin Hofkens
Since my childhood I have always been enthusiastic about exercise: through gymnastics, ballet, skiing, badminton etc. I started with sport climbing. Climbing combines for me already many of the positive aspects that I later found in yoga: tackling challenges with fun, body tension, strength, stretching, grace and deep concentration. But something was missing … today I know that it is the spiritual component, the inner focus and the further development of one’s own personality. All these areas elevate yoga for me above any sport. Since 2005 I am happily and gratefuly on my yoga path, which initially meandered a bit and has picked up speed since the beginning of 2011.
Through my enthusiasm and my loving contact with my students I motivate them to expand their mental and physical limits bit by bit. They become open for new experiences and find out more about themselves as creative and connected beings. Above all, my students can experience the depth and magic of yoga rather than being stuck in the physical aspects.
My Yoga Way
After practising for 6 years, I got to know Anusara® Yoga. First, full of curiosity, I participated in the Anusara Immersions with Lalla and Vilas Turske. As a result, I took part in a teacher training with them. In Anusara® I love the exact body alignment, the heart-oriented attitude and the Tantra philosophy. Yoga has already given me a lot – in health as well as in human terms. I hope that through my teaching I can give something back and help more and more people to look after themselves, their fellow human beings and their environment.
Since the Tantra philosophy suggests that even a teacher always remains a student, I decided in October 2014 to take another teacher training. I invested into an intensive 4-year training with over 800 hours at Tanja Sailers IYP Institute for Yoga and practice-oriented philosophy. Tanja Sailer teaches a worldly Tantra philosophy in the tradition of the Kaivalyadhama Institute, the most traditional yoga school in the world. Through her training I have acquired a deep and practical understanding of the underlying philosophy. The breathing and meditation techniques took up a large part of the training, for which I am very grateful. It is very important to me to incorporate this knowledge into every class.
My Own Yoga School
During my second training I started YOGINESS in Waiblingen, Germany in September 2014. After about 4 years my husband found a very interesting job in Copenhagen, and I said: “YES let’s go there!”. In other words, we moved to Copenhagen in August 2018. Since the beginning of March 2019 I have been teaching again in my own premises.
InterEsTING Facts – Kirstin Hofkens:
- Kirstin Hofkens
- married with Roeland Hofkens
- Mother of Iduna Hofkens, geb. 2007
- Dipl. Wirt.-Ing. (FH)
- Career in technical sales and self-employed in the IT industry
- 2004 Certificate Thai Yoga Massage – Training in Koh Phangan, Thailand
- 2012 Anusara® Yoga Immersions at ParApara – Lalla and Vilas Turske
- 2013 Yoga-Retreat in India
- 2013 MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) -Training with Andrea Richter
- 2013 Anusara® Yoga Teacher Training with Lalla and Vilas Turske. Degree of Anusara Elements™ Teacher RYT 200 – Link to my profile at Anusara School of Hatha Yoga
- 2013/2014 Repetition of the Anusara® Yoga Immersions
- September 2014 Founding of YOGINESS in Waiblingen, Germany
- Oktober 2018 Graduation of a 800+ hours Hatha-Yoga-Teacher-Training at IYP Institut für Yoga und praxisorientierte Philosophie von Tanja Sailer